It can be helpful to reminisce and reflect on your relationship to strengthen and reinforce your connection. Storytelling is a great way to do this, but you may also want to write your responses in a journal and then discuss things from both perspectives. Sit down together as a couple and answer one or two of these each evening for a week.
Discuss the following:
‣ What changes have you faced in your relationship to this point? (health, work, school, children,housing, families, finances) Were they planned or unexpected?
‣ How do you manage issues that are unpredictable and out of your control?
‣ What do you do to encourage one another?
‣ What are your goals? (Children, family, education, finances, home, career, hobbies, travel
‣ Talk about how you have encouraged your partner or spouse to achieve a goal.
‣ What is your vision of the next stage of your life? How are you preparing for the worst while hoping and working towards the best?
‣ Who is helping you to ask the right questions about planning your future? (Financial planners,attorneys, care managers, etc.) Are you satisfied with your current plan and planner?
Discuss plans for your future.
Some couples find it helpful to write down both long-term and short-term goals. This list could include personal, couple, family, career, health, housing, or financial goals.